By: Claudia Roe
Upon coming to Furman, you will be able to experience a range of weekly on-campus events put on by a variety of organizations like the Furman University Student Activities Board (FUSAB) and the Furman University Outdoors Club (FUOC). However, Furman has so much more to offer beyond what lies within the campus. Downtown Greenville is only a ten-minute drive from Furman and is full of a variety of activities ranging from places to visit downtown to trails with breathtaking views, all of which are must-dos during your time here at Furman.
- Spend a day at Paris Mountain State Park
- Hike, rent a kayak, or go fishing or swimming! Start the day off right with breakfast at Tandem Creperie in downtown Traveler’s Rest!
- Picnic at Bald Rock – bonus points if you bring a Sidewall Pizza
- Located just 15 miles from campus is the Bald Rock Heritage Preserve. It is the perfect place to bring a picnic and watch the sun set with Instagram-worthy views of Table Rock!
- Saturday Morning Farmer’s Market in Downtown Greenville
- Check out Greenville’s local vendors and their selection of fresh produce, flowers, art, and so much more! From 8am-12pm on Main St. in Downtown Greenville!
- Try all 13 restaurants at Gather GVL
- This outdoor dining experience on the West End of downtown has a wide variety of food options that are sure to satisfy everyone. Gather GVL has thirteen restaurants with a range of cuisine from sushi and pasta to chicken and waffles. This dining experience is the perfect place to spend a Friday night or bring your dog for a midday snack.
- Ice Skate in Downtown Greenville during the holiday season
- Ice on Main is the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit from November to January right on Main St. in downtown Greenville.
- Watch a Swamp Rabbits hockey game at the Well
- During the winter season check out Greenville’s minor league hockey team as they play right outside of downtown at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena (the Well)! Tickets are affordable and games are so fun for any college student!
- Catch a Drive Game at Fluor Field!
- Check out Greenville’s very own minor league baseball team as they play downtown at Fluor Field! Tickets are affordable, and there are so many good eats right outside and inside the stadium!
- See a show at the Peace Center
- The Peace Center is located in the heart of downtown and has so many year-round events to offer! From seeing Broadway shows like Hamilton or Wicked to country music concerts and symphonies, the Peace Center has something to offer everyone.
Foodie Bucket List!
If you talk to any Furman Student for than five minutes, food is certain to be a hot topic of conversation. While students do embody a diverse set of tastes and preferences, I think all Furman students can agree that you will never get bored of the eateries which surround Furman. Southern Living rated Greenville “One of the South’s Tastiest Towns,” so obviously there are so many foodie destinations located right outside Furman’s gates and a variety of Greenville staples that are must-tries during your time at Furman!
- Brick Street Café – Sweet Potato Cake
- The cutest café located on Brick Street in Downtown Greenville. You cannot leave here without trying their sweet potato cake with buttercream frosting!
- Sassafras Southern Bistro – Fried Green Tomatoes
- This downtown bistro is a Furman favorite! It is filled with southern comfort food staples. Start the night off right by ordering some of their famous fried Green Tomatoes!
- Kitchen Sync – Tomato Pie
- Located on Laurens Road, Kitchen Sync has a wide variety of global eats, but the tomato pie is a must!
- Soby’s New South Bistro – Shrimp and Grits
- Located in the heart of downtown Greenville, this upscale bistro has some of the best Shrimp and Grits in South Carolina, and they are certainly a must during your time at Furman.
- Nosedive – BBQ Chicken Mac N Cheese
- Without a doubt, Nosedive is a Furman student favorite! This restaurant is home to a variety of affordable comfort foods that are the perfect way to kick off the weekend, but do not leave without trying their famous mac n cheese!
Worth the Drive!
While there are limitless amounts of things to do on-campus and right outside Furman’s gates, there are also a couple of Furman student favorites that are totally worth the drive.
- Apple Picking at Sky Top Orchard – Apple Cider Donuts are a must!
- The perfect way to kick off the fall season is a road trip to Flat Rock, NC and apple picking at Sky Top Orchard featuring a chow down on the infamous apple cider donuts!
- Grits and Groceries
- This eatery is the epidemy of southern comfort food: Praline bacon, po-boys, tomato pie, gumbo, you name it! Grits and Groceries does it the best. Totally Worth the drive out to Belton, SC. Remember to avoid your cell phone at the dinner table and to bring cash because they do not accept cards!
- 25 Drive-In movie Theater in Greenwood SC
- Located about an hour and a half from Campus is a classic drive-in movie theater! The perfect way to spend a Saturday with a group of friends.
- Spend a day in Asheville, NC
- Located an hour from campus is Asheville, NC:the perfect day trip destination! Spend time walking around downtown Asheville and checking out their shops and restaurants. The Biltmore Estate is also a great way to spend the day (bonus points if you go at Christmas)!
I hope you will be able to visit Greenville soon and complete all of these bucket list items!