By: Claudia Roe
It’s summer before freshman year. You have just received the email with your housing assignment and roommate as you prepare to kick-off the next four years of your life at Furman University. Now it is time to make that trip to Bed Bath and Beyond to purchase the finishing touches for your freshman home. Now, you make think that just because you have your twinkly lights that it means that you are prepared for freshman year, but be sure to follow all these do’s and don’ts before kicking off your pathway at Furman!
- Overspend on dorm décor!
- I know you will want to have the cutest room on the hall, but freshman year you won’t be in your room much anyways, so focus on buying practical items that can be reused in upcoming years. Remember Wal-Mart and Amazon are your best friends; no need to spend a lot of money on things that you won’t be using often or could potentially get damaged in moves!
- Bring candles, tacks, or extension cords!
- Candles and extension cords are fire hazards, and the last thing you want is to be on the RA’s radar! Leave those items at home, but be sure to bring a power surge protector, so you can plug in all your chargers for many devices! Tacks are also not allowed for hanging anything on the walls, so be sure to use Command Strips, or otherwise you may receive a fine!
- Leave your clothes in the laundry room!
- Each residence hall will have its own laundry room that is included in tuition, so this means no coins AND you can wash your clothes as much as you want (just bring your own detergent). However, if you choose to wash your clothes often, be sure to set a timer for when the cycle is complete. You do not want to forget your laundry for three days and have your whole building mad at you for taking up a washer!
- Don’t forget to put water in your Easy Mac!
- While you will have an unlimited dining plan freshman year, late night cravings are inevitable, so be sure to pack loads of dorm room friendly snacks like pizza rolls, ramen, pringles, popcorn, and of course, Easy Mac — but don’t forget to put water in it. Otherwise, you WILL set off the smoke alarm (it happens more often than you would think)!
- Get to know your RA and FRAD!
- Be sure to make connections with both your RA and FRAD as they will be huge resources for you throughout the year! Also, be sure to attend as many hall events as you can because this is the easiest way to meet new friends!
- Always choose practical when shopping!
- When purchasing items for your dorm room, choose functionality over appearance every time! Even though the metal-wire hamper may be super cute and trendy, it will not be fun to carry down the stairs to the laundry rooms. Be sure to get a lightweight hamper with wheels.
- Bring cleaning supplies and a vacuum!
- Depending on if you are living communal bathroom style or suite style will determine what kind of cleaning supplies you will need; however, a handheld vacuum that is easy to store is a must for any room! If you are living suite-style, make sure to bring a Swiffer as well.
- Communicate with your roommate!
- Before move-in day, make sure you have coordinated who is bringing what items. The last thing you want is for both of you to have brought a rug and no one to have brought a vacuum. Also, be sure to communicate all expectations for the room with your roommate in your roommate agreement that you will work on with your RA! And remember you may not be best friends with your roommate, but it is most important that you live well together!